Wednesday, November 16, 2011

New Name, New Adventure



I never know how to start a blog. It's kinda awkward. But I decided to start a new one, or at least rename my old one. I want to be able to tell about my new adventure coming up. 


I'm moving to Sydney, Australia in 62 days. January 17. 2 months. Soon. I'm going to Hillsong College to study worship music. I'm stoked to say the least. But more than just telling about all the exciting things I do, I want to talk more about how I discover more of who Jesus is in all of this. Sometimes I feel like I barely know him. And I don't mean know ABOUT him, but know him deeply and personally. 


I feel like I've put him in this box. There's only certain ways he can speak to me or touch my heart. There's only certain ways I can worship him or prove myself, as if I need to. 


I want Jesus to smash this box to pieces. I want him to completely demolish everything I thought I knew he was. Not to become something else, but to become more than I ever could imagine. 


In C.S. Lewis' stories, The Chronicles of Narnia, I love how the character of Aslan relates so much to Jesus. I know it's quite obvious the similarities in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, but even in the other six books, I love how profound and relatable the character is. 


Aslan was great and majestic and loving and compassionate, but he was not feeble, nor predictable. He always went beyond the expectations or assumptions of everyone who came into contact with him. One of my favorite parts of The Chronicles of Narnia is when Jill Pole meets Aslan for the first time.


"Are you not thirsty?" said the Lion.
"I am dying of thirst," said Jill.
"Then drink," said the Lion.
"May I — could I — would you mind going away while I do?" said Jill.
The Lion answered this only by a look and a very low growl. And as Jill gazed at its motionless bulk, she realized that she might as well have asked the whole mountain to move aside for her convenience.
The delicious rippling noise of the stream was driving her nearly frantic.
"Will you promise not to — do anything to me, if I do come?" said Jill.
"I make no promise," said the Lion.
Jill was so thirsty now that, without noticing it, she had come a step nearer.
"Do you eat girls?" she said.
"I have swallowed up girls and boys, women and men, kings and emperors, cities and realms," said the Lion. It didn't say this as if it were boasting, nor as if it were sorry, nor as if it were angry. It just said it.
"I daren't come and drink," said Jill.
"Then you will die of thirst," said the Lion.
"Oh dear!" said Jill, coming another step nearer. "I suppose I must go and look for another stream then."
"There is no other stream," said the Lion.



I want Jesus to go beyond my expectations and assumptions. He is the Ephesians 3:20 God that goes "exceedingly beyond." I need some "exceedingly beyond" in my life. I need to be completely broken and ruined so that He can build me up again. It's a scary and painful process, but Jesus never promised us things would be painless. 


However, that makes the reward even greater. It allows Him to take me places I'd never  imagine or believe I could go. It allows Him to do the crazy, incredible, mind-boggling transformation and changes in my life. It allows Him to show me his wild, all-consuming, and inviting love for me. It allows Him to roar in and show me exactly what his power alone can do.


After all, he's not a tame lion.

No comments:

Post a Comment